The ADHS organizes a biennial international conference. Past events have been held in Guelph, Glasgow, Buffalo, London and Bowling Green, Ohio.
The next biennial conference of the ADHS will be held at Utrecht University, The Netherlands in 23-25 June 2017. The local organisers are Prof. Toine Pieters and Dr Stephen Snelders. The call for papers is now closed: Call for Papers ADHS 2017
For further information please see https://adhs2017.wordpress.com/
Members of the ADHS also participate in a range of conferences. Please watch this space for details of upcoming ADHS sessions.
Past ADHS events
- ADHS session at the Society for the Study of Addiction conference in York, England, 10-11th of November 2016. The programme is available here.
- Conference in Dwight, Illinois on the Keeley Cure, Addiction Treatment and temperance, 14-17 July 2016
- ADHS session at the Ohio Academy of History, Kent State University – Stark Campus, 1-2 April 2016.
- ADHS 2015 Conference: Borders, Boundaries & Contexts: Defining Spaces in the History of Alcohol & Drugs. Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green OH, USA, June 18-21, 2015.
Borders, Boundaries and Contexts sought to break down barriers in the historical study of drugs and alcohol, encouraging transnational approaches and methodologies that transcend the singular focus on alcohol or drugs. The program included individual papers and complete panels exploring how:
- spaces, boundaries and borders – physical, legal, chronological, psychological, or ideological – have influenced the history of alcohol and drugs;
- contexts, spatial or otherwise, have shaped the production, consumption, imagination, or regulation of alcohol and drugs;
- particular “spaces” have defined eras, episodes, or issues in the history of alcohol and drugs.
- ADHS at the AHA NYC Jan 2-5 2015
- Pub, Street and Medicine Cabinet: 6th International Conference of the Alcohol and Drugs History Society, Hyatt Hotel, Buffalo 24-26th June 2011
- ADHS at the AHA Chicago 2012